Causes of Neck and Shoulder Pain
Some neck pain can be attributed to everyday living and normal aging, but sometimes the cause, and the pain, is more serious.
Whiplash is one of the most common injuries of the neck and shoulder area. When a sudden-force movement causes the head to “whip” back and forth or side to side the vertebrae as well as surrounding muscles and tissues can be injured. The most common cause of whiplash is an auto accident, but it can also happen due to a fall or other means. The pain associated with whiplash sometimes doesn’t occur right away and can last for a long time.
Repetitive Workplace Injury – The modern workplace can be blamed for many repetitive use injuries to the neck, shoulders and upper extremities. Spending hours in front of the computer puts strain on the neck as we slowly hunch forward to view the monitor. Poor postural habits contribute to neck strain, but so do poor ergonomics, which are not always in an employee’s control. Equipment that’s set up at the wrong height or angle, and chairs without adequate support are literally a pain in the neck.
Sports Injury – In addition to the possibility of whiplash or other injury from a sports-related fall, participating in athletic activities of all kinds can strain the muscles and bones of the cervical spine. Repeating the same motions over and over, like practicing your tennis swing, can overwork a specific group of muscles and tissues and cause pain.
Chiropractic Care Can Help
Whether mild or severe, pain is not a “normal” condition you simply have to live with. Surgery and prescription medications are often believed to be the only options for treating neck and/or shoulder pain. Chiropractic care is an effective, drug-free, non-invasive method for relieving pain and healing its cause. At Ringer Chiropractic we provide a variety of services that can help:
- Chiropractic adjustments promote spinal health and help prevent future injury or re-injury
- Corrective exercises empower our patients to strengthen and correct any irregularities in their body and reduce pain in the comfort of their own home
- Lifestyle advice supports patients in their goals for a healthier, more satisfying life
- Nutritional counseling helps our patients return to optimal health after illness or injury
- Massage therapy is more than just a luxury, it’s an effective treatment with many important health benefits, including natural pain relief
Please contact our office for an appointment if you would like relief from neck or shoulder pain.
If you’re suffering from shoulder pain, give us a call at (209) 835-2225